Self Evident Truths

You can’t spend more than you make without going broke. This is true over the long run for ordinary people, big business, and countries. Continuously borrowing more money is not a solution. Neither is printing it.

There is also no such thing as a free lunch. You may get it without paying for it yourself, but somewhere along the line somebody else footed the bill.

These propositions seem more self-evident to me than Jefferson’s unalienable right to, “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,” but they’re disregarded day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year by almost everyone, including most importantly by the people who profess to know what’s best for us – namely the elected public officials we entrust with our common welfare and the supposed experts from academia who advise them.

Our economy is anemic, our national debt is skyrocketing, and the percentage of the population in the workforce has been declining for decades. In the meantime, the cost of entitlements goes up and up.

Something has to give. Nobody promised than the high standard of living, freedom, and democratic government we’ve enjoyed for generations would last forever. Civilizations come and go. I sure wish people would start acting as if it will all be lost unless they stop insisting on having their cake and eating it too.

Change of Venue: A How To

Judge Reading Documents At Desk In CourtroomIn divorce, one of the most common questions we hear is howHow do I file? How do I get child custody? How do I come out of the other side of this mess? With so many hows, sometimes our most important job is to find the best of many possible hows for each individual client, because decades in this line of work has shown us that no client is identical to another. In one such case, a woman wanted to know how to file for a change of venue in her divorce. Her estranged husband, whom she’s been separated from for over four years, filled for divorce in Ventura County. However, she and the couple’s seven year old daughter have continued to reside in Los Angeles County, where the child was born. This woman explains that Ventura is just too far for her to travel. She goes on to note that her daughter’s school, doctor, activities, friends and family, and anyone else that she may need to testify on her behalf are all in Los Angeles. Her question: what forms must she fill out to ensure that her divorce case be moved to Los Angeles.

We informed this woman of her ability to request an order to change venue based on the circumstances she described, and that with all things considered the order would likely be granted. We advised her to use the standard RFO or Request for Order form to get this done (FL-300). She then must prepare and file the form when she goes to the hearing, and be aware that there will be a filling fee. We suggested she conduct some research on CA Code of Civil Procedure 397, where she will find the authority for her request for venue change. She will lastly need to file a proof of service proving that she served her husband. A date will be set to hear her RFO.

For more information on planning for divorce, please visit our website: